Flavor Profile: Well balanced sweet and tart elements, hints of tropical fruit flavors.
The Gala apple offers a wonderful balance of tart and sweet flavors that help it stand up to a range of different flavorings. It pairs up well with bold, distinctive flavors such as curry powder, fresh ginger, herbs (particularly tarragon, basil and chives). In general, savory flavors compliment the Gala best; sweeter ingredients can overwhelm the apple's own moderate sweetness.
This is a wine-friendly apple, making it a good choice for recipes that will be served as an appetizer or main course accompanied by wine. It pairs particularly well with Riesling, Chianti, Merlot and Pinot Noir wines.
- Add diced Gala apple to a curried shrimp salad to serve as-is or use for sandwiches.
- Slice Gala apples to toss with romaine lettuce and halved strawberries or whole blackberries in a basil-embellished vinaigrette dressing.
- Braise Gala apple wedges with chicken, onions and tarragon for a distinctive main course.
Apple Growing Regions
- Autumn Glory December - March
- Braeburn September - June
- Cameo October - June
- Cripps Pink November - May
- Fuji January - December
- Gala January - December
- Golden Delicious January - December
- Granny Smith January - December
- Honeycrisp October - March
- Jonagold September - June
- Red Delicious January - December