Flavor Profile: Robust flavor, sweet with hints of citrus and slightly tangy finish, extra crisp and crunchy.
Crisp and juicy, the Cameo apple has a robust flavor that pairs it well with savory and peppery flavors such as squash, chili peppers, pork and nuts (especially hazelnuts and pecans). This apple’s character shines in the raw form, sliced to dip in peanut butter for a snack, or served alongside cheese. The Cameo holds up nicely to some wines, notably Chardonnay and Chianti.
This is a wine-friendly apple, making it a good choice for recipes that will be served as an appetizer or main course accompanied by wine. It pairs particularly well with Riesling, Chianti, Merlot and Pinot Noir wines.
- Toss chopped Cameo apple with fresh berries to layer with yogurt and granola for a breakfast parfait.
- Make a simple chutney of chopped Cameo apple sautéed with onion, ginger, cumin, coriander seed and vinegar – an ideal complement for roast pork.
- Skewer cubes of Cameo apple on small bamboo skewers or cocktail picks, alternately with whole red grapes, and freeze to drop in a glass of Champagne for a fruity swizzle stick.
Apple Growing Regions
- Autumn Glory December - March
- Braeburn September - June
- Cameo October - June
- Cripps Pink November - May
- Fuji January - December
- Gala January - December
- Golden Delicious January - December
- Granny Smith January - December
- Honeycrisp October - March
- Jonagold September - June
- Red Delicious January - December